users@glassfish.java.net

RE: How to start the server with a disabled HTTP listener

From: <Vince.Power_at_medavie.bluecross.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 14:56:42 -0300

If you have a default GlassFish install with just the server instance then
you only really have a DAS that you happen to deploy your apps to.

From http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV2Architecture

Domain Administration Server (DAS). The DAS, a fully functional Java EE 5
server instance, facilitates administration for the Domain. All
administrative operations (e.g. initiated via the CLI, GUI, NetBeans IDE,
and other tools) are routed to the DAS rather than to server instances
directly. For aggregate operations that encompass more than one server
instance, the DAS will be responsible for broadcasting administration
requests to instances. DAS is able to administer instances running on
remote hosts. When the DAS is not running administative operations are not
possible. No special efforts are made to make the DAS highly available
except for simple watchdog and restart capability. Instances and clusters
in the domain can function normally even if the DAS is not running.

Administrative Client Applications (CLI, JSR 77, AMX). Administrative
clients include the asadmin CLI (command line interface) utility, and
modules that plug into the Studio. These applications reside either inside
or outside the firewall and communicate exclusively with the Domain Admin
Server (and not server instances directly). All application deployment
makes use of the JSR 88 APIs. Configuration and application deployment are
done exclusively via JMX MBeans (some of which are standardized by JSR
77). These clients clients use JSR160 JMX connectors to access the DAS. To
cross firewalls, the protocol of choice implemented in the connector is
HTTP(S). There is also an MBEan interface called AMX that exposes all the
functionality through API.