users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Bug Fixing, Support, German Laws, etc... (was: GLASSFISH IS LAME)

From: Martin Gainty <mgainty_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:05:42 -0400

i guess that depends on your definition of 'defect'

what marcus is suggesting is that the process of prioritisation of bugs as well as bug assignment should be discussed by the OSS community..a forum similar to a bundestag or american congress where there would be open discussion for a full day..vote the next day on should the bug be addressed..and whether to branch the patch or release affected classes into next point rel
Also there would be a vote on who the bug gets assigned to (approved by majority of committers)
and their should be an overseer so that if the guy assigned decides to go on vaca for a month the overseer
will become responsible for implementing the patch within the promised timeline
i agree this will slow the cycle of OpenDiscussion-BugVote-CodeBug-UAT-integration-acceptance cycle but this would allow the OSS community to have input

i subscribe to another apache group that had a clear security bug assigned..the individual auto-assigned doesnt
have the right skillset to get the job done..with the end result the patch will take upwards of a week or 2 instead of a day/2day
the client requesting the sec patch has specific needs and will probably fail the patch with the end result that a month
will go by before this *not so poor* client will gethis security patch
Lastly Unit tests should be included in the patch distribution to determine validity of functional,unit,regression and integration capabilities of the patch

Mit Freundlichen Grüßen
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung