users@glassfish.java.net

Corrupted XML responses under load

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:43:38 PDT

Hello,

still performing load tests of a Glassfish-hosted application exposing WebServices.
Occasionally (not systematically reproducable, fut at a frequency of occurrence that lowers our target SLA), we observe exceptions signalling XML parsing errors within the ws.client stack.
I'll attach below one extract of the last occurrence: it shows exceptions logged by the test client, which repeatedly exercises WebService calls).

The exceptions signal ParseError "XML reader error: javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamException: ParseError at [row,col]:[1,1]
Message: Premature end of file."

It looks like the communication was interrupted before the whole SOAP response was transmitted back to the client.
A colleague suggested it may be due to timeouts on either side:
- connection timeout configured for the SOAP client library.
- connection timeout configured for glassfish's HTTP Service (Admin/Configuration/cluster/HTTPService/Request Processing/Request timeout)

I wonder how I could validate this hypothesis, and how I could detect server-side timeout problems in production. In particular, I found no server-side log notifying about a connection timeout: how and where would they appear? In instance's logs? Do I need to activate access logs?

Thanks for your help.
Brgds,

    J.
[Message sent by forum member 'jduprez' (jduprez)]