users@glassfish.java.net

Clustered setup (think Cloud) Glassfish v2 or v3?

From: Barry van Someren <goltharnl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:23:45 +0200

All,

I've been using Glassfish for a few years now and am a strong believer
in it's capabilities and stability along with Sun Web server 7.
My experiences have mostly been with single server setups.
Lately I've been working on setting up Java based hosting and I'm
looking for some opinions.
My hosting setup is based on a combination of Cloud Nodes (much like
EC2 only with both monthly and hourly options) and physical hardware
(for MySQL databases, since running these of a shared SAN is a bad
idea)
I was thinking that Glassfish is moving more and more into the
direction of being an excellent cloud based hosting environment.
(support for clustering out of the box, excellent management)
Not just for Java, but also for PHP and Ruby.

I'm wondering though, what pitfalls should I think about?
-What about security? Is setting a good security policy and separating
the threadpools enough?
-Performance and isolation? (I vaguely remember Glassfish V3/Grizzly
having more control over priority of requests for QOS)

One thing that has me torn right now is that Glassfish V2 comes with
excellent clustering/management support that will perfectly fit the
bill.
V3 on the other hand has more hosting options and has a great modular
infrastructure which I'll probably build plugins for.
I know V3.1 will be even greater, but should I wait for it? How long will it be?
Is there a way that I can help out to get the clustering support into
V3 quicker?

Regards,

Barry

--