users@glassfish.java.net

Do I need a Enterprise Server subscription to run a cluster?

From: Niklas Grossmann <ngrossmann_at_amadeus.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 12:08:50 +0200

Hi,
I created a cluster using GlassFish v2.1-b60e with two cluster nodes and
two node agents running on two Linux boxes. While the system runs finally
pretty stable as long as no changes are applied I have frequently problems
when I deploy/re-deploy applications, e.g. the synchronization takes 30
minutes+, the DAS and the cluster nodes do not find each other etc.. I
found several references to bugs fixed in the enterprise version of
GlassFish and patches which are available, however when I try to download
the patches I get an error page saying that I need a GF Enterprise Server
subscription.

What is the difference between GF 2.1 available at
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/downloadsindex.html and Sun GF
Enterprise Server 2.1 available at
http://www.sun.com/software/products/appsrvr/get_it.jsp ?
When will the enterprise version bug fixes/patches be available in the
open-source version? I tried to find some information/hints on issue
6774854 (http://blogs.sun.com/GlassFishForBusiness/) in the issue tracker
or the source code but without success. While I understand that there are
no frequent bug-fix/patch releases of the open-source branch, my
assumption up to now was that the open-source and the commercial versions
share the same code base, thus that it would be possible to build a new
release myself or back-port the fixes I need.

In brief: is a GF Enterprise Server subscription a must for running GF
Clusters?

Regards,
  Niklas.

IMPORTANT - CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity shown above as addressees. It may
contain information which is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure under applicable laws. If the reader of this
transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, printing, distribution, copying, disclosure or the
taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify us by reply e-mail or using the address below
and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Eberhard Haag
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erding
HR München 48 199