users@glassfish.java.net

Re: asadmin create-domain question

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 06:09:59 PDT

That's a great question. We default the value of JVM to -client for all profiles. We probably should have checked if the current platform supports the client VM. Looks like Windows 64-bit is treated as a server class machine and the client VM is not at all available there (can you check)?

The simplest solution is just edit the generated domain.xml (domain-folder/config/domain.xml)
and remove the <jvm-option>-client</jvm-option> from there.

If you wanted create-domain to behave in this case, remove the same line from <install>/lib/install/templates/default-domain.xml.template. The side effects of doing it is all your domains
will have -client removed from there, which I guess is ok. You could go the route of a custom
profile domain, but that's not called for here.

Now, the question is why did we have this line the the default-template? That's a million-$
question, because after all, not having -client, -server or -d64 ... would have made JVM
start in the mode that is default to the machine you run it on. But, alas, some people told me
that they use server-class machines for their development and they would want to reap the
benefits of client VM even though their hardware is better suited to server use.

Lessons learned: Choosing defaults is hard.

-Kedar
[Message sent by forum member 'km' (km)]