users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GF CDDL license advice

From: Wolfram Rittmeyer <w.rittmeyer_at_jsptutorial.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:13:13 +0200

Gautam Arora wrote:
> relevant link due to recent events:
> http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/contributor_agreement.jsp#r_5

IANAL, but I think the CDDL is quite clear about what you have to do
with your changes:

3.1. Any Covered Software that You distribute or otherwise make
available in Executable form must also be made available in Source Code
form and that Source Code form must be distributed only under the terms
of this License. You must include a copy of this License with every copy
of the Source Code form of the Covered Software You distribute or
otherwise make available. You must inform recipients of any such Covered
Software in Executable form as to how they can obtain such Covered
Software in Source Code form in a reasonable manner on or through a
medium customarily used for software exchange.

Thus I think you have to use the CDDL for your code as well if it is
made within CDDL-licensed files. This is not necessary for any files you
added.

I do not know about github's restrictions (e.g. if they accept any
OSI-approved license or files without explicit licensing information)
but if you fulfill the requirements of the CDDL you can redistribute
your code wherever you see fit. The CDDL is not the inhibiting factor here.

--
Wolfram Rittmeyer