users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Using declared Services in Glassfish v3 prelude

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:03:49 -0700

On Apr 22, 2009, at 6:16 AM, Sahoo wrote:

> In this case, user was not trying any j2ee application. It was a
> plain OSGi bundle and what I gathered was deploy command was not
> starting the bundle, so I suggested the alternative.
I understand that, all I am saying is that it eventually can become
confusing to people about what's the best way of deploying their
applications wether or not they are pure OSGi, pure JavaEE or a mix.

> Secondly, when we have our deployment code ready for OSGi/javaee
> apps, it will automatically work for bundles started via fileinstall
> or via deploy command, as I am assuming we shall implement some kind
> of extender pattern to achieve this.

maybe, maybe not. Until we have made enough experimentation, it's
dangerous to assume it will necessarily work especially for components
like JPA that requires two different classloaders for a single bundle.
I like the autodeploy-modules features, I am not sure we can safely
assume that we will be always capable of implementing it using the
file-install or achieve Java EE deployment through an extender pattern.

Jerome

> Thanks,
> Sahoo
>
> Jerome Dochez wrote:
>> I don't think we should advocate the use of the felix file install
>> for application deployment as it will not work well with OSGi
>> enabled Java EE applications unless we hook up our deployment
>> backend to module installation etc... which we are not planning to
>> do anytime soon.
>>
>> we should have a "autodeploy" like feature implemented on top of
>> the ${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/autodeploy-modules so that it still
>> goes through the application server deployment infrastructure.
>> Until that is done, I think we should not advocate the current usage.
>>
>> jerome

>>> You can also use felix fileinstall bundle which is part of GFv3 to
>>> deploy your bundle. You can do something like this:
>>> Create a file called org.apache.felix.fileinstall-autodeploy-
>>> modules.cfg in glassfish/modules dir. Let it contain following
>>> properties:
>>> felix.fileinstall.dir=${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/autodeploy-
>>> modules/
>>> felix.fileinstall.poll=5000
>>> felix.fileinstall.debug=1