users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Oracle buys Sun

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:24:26 -0400

GlassFish has a different market than WebLogic, WebSphere and OC4J.
GlassFish users and paying customers will never pay as much money for
middleware as the WebLogic, WebShere and OC4J cost because they just
can't afford it, or their own products sell for much less than the cost
of middleware. I don't think these customers can be converted to paying
WLS or OC4J customers. Instead they will goto JBoss, Geronimo or Tomcat
if Oracle kills off GlassFish. Or, Oracle can maintain GlassFish and
keep the paying customers, hopefully attracting more paying customers
that are currently using JBoss or Tomcat.