users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Debugging Glassfish CPU usage

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:52:30 PDT

Unfortunately, this is still occurring, nearly like clockwork every 8-12 hours. I've attached two images; one of the CPU usage for the last day and week, the other for the context-switch activity during the same period.

Every 8-12 hours, there is an (as yet) unexplained increase in CPU and context-switch activity that is unrelated to traffic patterns. I've haven't noticed any unusual GC times, but I will post a GC log next time this happens in case anybody sees something I'm missing.

From looking at the stack traces repeatedly, many of which are posted above, I haven't seen anything indicative; mostly threads just waiting.

We're currently running on Ubuntu, but are considering trying Solaris. Any thoughts on whether that could help, or would be better for performance anyway?
[Message sent by forum member 'rwillie6' (rwillie6)]