users@glassfish.java.net

Looking for the better sun's offer

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:00:33 PDT

Hi everybody

After the comparative study we made between Glassfish and others Application Servers (see http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=58417), we have decided that Glassfish is better, and to purchase a Glassfish one if possible. But we have difficulties to see the differences between all Sun's available offers. As far as I know, there are three possibilities (and even more):

1) Sun Java Application Server
2) Glassfish v2.1 or v3 prelude - open source edition
3) Glassfish Enterprise Edition

For each of them, the first criteria we are interested in are:
a) HTTP load balancing, clustering and failover
b) EJB3 load balancing, clustering and failover
c) JMS load balancing, clustering and failover
d) JNDI load balancing, clustering and failover
e) free for perpetual commercial use
f) open source
g) availability of professional support
h) long term roadmap

As far as I know, it is impossible to meet all these criteria together. Indeed, the only one open-source edition doesn't seem to provide EJB3, JMS, and JNDI load balancing, clustering and failover. But this doesn't matter. We want absolutely to have at least EJB3 load balancing, clustering and failover even if it means we will have to pay for it. But what is better? Sun Java Application Server, Glassfish Enterprise Edition, or even a third one I didn't pay attention to before?

Here follows an array where I have sum up the result of my research so far:

a) | 1y | 2y | 3y
b) | 1? | 2n | 3?
c) | 1? | 2n | 3?
d) | 1? | 2n | 3?
e) | 1? | 2y | 3?
f) | 1n | 2y | 3n
g) | 1y | 2? | 3y
h) | 1? | 2y | 3y

please help me correcting errors and replacing the '?' by the corresponding answer, ant advise me in the better one version. Thank you very much.
[Message sent by forum member 'aldian' (aldian)]