users@glassfish.java.net

Re: ActivationSpec definition in Glassfish?

From: Sivakumar Thyagarajan <Sivakumar.Thyagarajan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:05:05 +0530

Hi Ivo

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Same problem here;
>
> We have multiple environments with different configurations (development, test,
> integration, education, production). Integration, education and production
> are managed by an external provider. I think this is a common scenario.
>
> Having all the ActivationSpec info in the deployment descriptor makes the application
> inflexibly. The provider has no chance to scale his environments (poolsizes etc), unless
> he switches from the deployer role to the assembler role.
>
> But the provider (deployer) is not the application assembler. Modifying artifacts
> by the provider is a contract violation and any SLA's are void.

The activation-config information for a message endpoint could be
specified through the ejb-jar.xml (standard deployment descriptor
provided by the application component provider or assembler)
and sun-ejb-jar.xml (glassfish-specific deployment descriptor
provided by the deployer/system administrator).

The deployer may use the sun-ejb-jar.xml to specify additional
configuration information or override activation-config information
specific in the standard DD based on the deployment-setup.
GlassFish merges the activation-config information specified in
both the DDs before setting up the MDB.

Would this help? With the sun-ejb-jar.xml option,there are no
"changes" to the artifacts provided by the application component
developer, and only configuration (As defined in pt.2 of Section
EE.2.10.4 of the Java EE 5 spec) and repacking of the EAR.

I do understand the other benefits (centralized configuration and
sharing of common configuration across multiple endpoints) afforded by
having the activation configuration defined externally (JNDI), but
as of GFv2, the sun-ejb-jar.xml is the only route available for
overriding the activation configuration information provided by
the application component developer.

Could you raise a feature enhancement request if the existing options
do not help?

Thanks
--Siva.