users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Sun, IBM and future of Glassfish project?

From: Kristian Rink <lists_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:14:39 +0200

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org schrieb:
[...]
> Sun could put an end to any speculation about the future of Glassfish by
> declaring that Glassfish is being donated to an open source organization
> out of the reach of IBM or any potential suitor. Ditto for NetBeans.

Definitely "+1" on that. That's right the point I was thinking/talking
about... in our situation, so far we have adopted Glassfish pretty much as
runtime, but still not as much as completely depending upon it, or even
depending upon Java EE for that matters - though we're to some degree "in
love" with the ideas and technologies offered by Java EE, we're in a slow
transition to there from a bunch of Spring based webapps. So at the moment,
our applications will run both in some Glassfish version or in a plain
servlet container. And at the moment, I really think that this is not too
bad a situation, given the circumstances.

We have als been discussing that issue on a NetBeans related mailing list,
with the overall idea of "oh well, so we're gonna fork as soon as 'something
happens'". Unfortunately, maybe "as soon as" could be weeks or months from
now, basically being weeks or months in which new users might carefully
avoid these projects eventually "at stake" due to the current situations,
eventually making other decisions.

This way, I think the statement that IBM might abandon NetBeans and
Glassfish due to the lack of user base and community might end up being a
self-fulfilling prophecy which is the worst thing at the moment IMHO -
shouldn't at least technical folks involved into this right now be doing
their best trying to _widen_ user base of these technologies??

> Short of that, I don't know if I'm crazy enough to bet on Glassfish today
> not knowing if it will be an active project after what seems like the
> very likely acquisition of Sun by IBM, or another company whose interests
> rarely coincide with mine.

Yes, that's the problem. From the technical view point of my current
position in company, I still will not hesitate introducing, using, promoting
Glassfish as the tool of choice. From being responsible also for strategic
dimensions of technical decisions, at the moment I am not unhappy we're
still making slow progress down the Java EE road so virtually we could drop
in a replacement easily anytime soon. I really really hope something will be
done about this _before_ it's all about waiting for a short-term
"fork-or-forget" decision. :(

K.

--
Kristian Rink