users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Clustering in glassfish

From: Sudhir Prabhu <Sudhir.Prabhu_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:47:35 +0530

Hi Balbir,

Please refer to
http://developers.sun.com/appserver/reference/techart/glassfishcluster/#clustArch

Relevent portions from this article are here.

In the GlassFish application server, cluster instances are organized in
a ring topology. Each member in the ring sends memory state data to the
next member in the ring, its replica partner, and receives state data
from the previous member. As state data is updated in any member, it is
replicated around the ring. The topology is shown in simplified form in
figure3
Clustering Topology

The way the topology is formed into a ring is determined by alphanumeric
order of the names you give to your instances. So, if you name your
instances as shown in Figure 3, Instance 1 will replicate to Instance 2,
Instance 2 to Instance 3, and so on around the ring.

A typical cluster topology is shown in Figure 4. In the figure,
instances are shown hosted on different physical machines. By placing
Instances 1 and 3 on one machine and Instances 2 and 4 on a different
machine, you maximize availability. If either machine fails
catastrophically, all the data is preserved on the other machine, either
in its original form or as replicants of the instances on the failed
machine.

Typical Cluster Topology

Sudhir