users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Sun, IBM and future of Glassfish project?

From: <Vince.Power_at_medavie.bluecross.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:11:05 -0300

I have a feeling that if a merger was to happen GlassFish would replace
WebSphere Community Edition at the low-end of IBM's WebSphere Application
Server product line and the better parts of the platform would be rolled
into the rest of the WebSphere product family's next major versions or
would be rolled out as Feature Packs.

The products I'm most curious about are the Identity Suite (OpenSSO, DS,
IDM) which directly compete at the top end of the enterprise market with
IBM's Tivoli branded products.

Regards,
Vince

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org
03/23/2009 01:44 PM
Please respond to
users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net

users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
cc

Subject
Re: Sun, IBM and future of Glassfish project?

IBm is heavily invested in java. There is no question they would keep on
with it.

A more subtle question is what they would do with competing
technologies...

Hostpot v. IBM's VM tech
Glassfish v. Websphere

And the answer is that nobody knows. In the long run they would likely
want to merge competing products into one product line but how they went
about that would be anyone's guess.
[Message sent by forum member 'jeffpk' (jeffpk)]