users@glassfish.java.net

Re: basic tutorial needed: set the hostname to something other than localhost

From: Scott Fordin <Scott.Fordin_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:44:43 -0500

You're right. This is really a DNS thing, rather than a GlassFish
thing. What users will see as the GlassFish server name depends on
the DNS domain name that is used in the mapping of the IP address
of the machine on which GlassFish is served. On a LAN that does
not have a DNS server, say your home or a small lab, the GlassFish
server name will be whatever is defined for the IP<->host name
mapping in the etc/hosts file on the machine from which the
GlassFish site is accessed. Ideally, the IP<->host name mappings
should be the same in the /etc/hosts files on the GlassFish server
machine and any machine that is used to view pages on that server.

Scott