users@glassfish.java.net

basic tutorial needed: set the hostname to something other than localhost

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:31:34 PST

Hi, i'm a complete newbie with glassfish. While i've managed to get it up and going and, with the help of this forum, to debug problems relating to deploying webstart application clients, i can only do this on localhost. I've gone through the documentation many times and can't find a simple, detailed set of instructions for running glassfish on something other than localhost. For example, i just want to access some app, "App" on my hostname rather than on localhost: http://hostname:8080/App instead of http://localhost:8080/App. Of course i can do that on the same computer i'm coding on because of some internal mapping, but when i try it from a separate computer it doesn't work. Anyway, do i create a whole new domain? I've found bits and pieces in the forum that the hostname comes from the hosts file in linux (i'm on ubuntu). Nothing seems to work so far. Using glassfish v 2.1.
[Message sent by forum member 'jbrkeith' (jbrkeith)]