users@glassfish.java.net

Production deployment and third party licensing issues

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:06:06 PST

I have reviewed several docs on the Glassfish license and still have a nagging questions. I'm not concerned so much about Sun Microsystems - it's pretty obvious from the FAQs and Driscoll's blogs, they are unlikely to litigate while my company runs applications using Glassfish products

But what about potential third party litigants, for example, the SCO debacle? If my company deploys their web app/services on the Glassfish platform, does anyone know of pending (lurking?) companies (bottom feeders), who would launch lawsuit(s) against our relatively small company demanding licensing fees from using some code they might claim is in the Glassfish source?

Our management/legal teams are concerned about this potential and it could direct us *away* from Glassfish into the Websphere world (which I personally do not like). Does anyone have linkage where the Glassfish licenses might protect companies who decide to deploy our client software on production systems, with or without the support subscription.

From my reading to date, I don't get the sense of any "protections" one way or another. We don't have any plans to change any of the Glassfish code, just would use it instead of Websphere or Jboss.

Caveat: I understand that anyone can sue anyone else for any and all reasons - I am looking for something a little more definitive such as is this already happening? Does anyone know of any current cases? That sort of thing.

thanks
[Message sent by forum member 'javaseeds' (javaseeds)]