users@glassfish.java.net

Re: how to create application events in sun application server 8.2

From: Steve Essery <Steve.Essery_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:34:39 +0000

Hi,

Not sure how many people go back that far (I barely do). Application
Events where a feature available to AppLogics, which was used with the
Netscape Application Server. AppLogics were deprecated in iPlanet
Application Server 6.5 specifically because they would not be supported
in future releases, this was the statement in the iAS 6.5 release notes
(unfortunately not on the docs.sun.com website anymore):

"The Applogics framework is deprecated with this release of iPlanet
Application Server and will not be supported in future releases."

Unfortunately that means there is no real migration path, and you'll
have to re-write the code to use the facilities made available by Java EE.

Since an Application Event is essentially a timer which is stored in
NAS/iAS which, when it fires, runs some code then the closest match
would be an EJB Timer Bean. If you wanted to trigger an even
asynchronously from application code then you'd probably have to look at
using a Message Driven Bean and have the code send a message to a queue
which the MDB then acts on.

Hope that helps,
Steve