users@glassfish.java.net

Re: which is the best database which i could use with gf cluster?

From: David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:28:44 -0800

That's a short question to a very long discussion. There are many ways
to move up to multiple database servers. One is clustering, but that's
a pretty heavy solution when you want to move from one database server
to say just two. There are lots of solutions out there, some you need
to implement yourself (e.g. sharding or using replication) and there are
a number of vendors out there (Continuent, HiveMind, HSCALE to name a
few) that will help to do this for you.

Oracle Cluster is another way to go, but I don't know if it's the right
solution. First of all, you do have to consider the licensing costs.
Secondly, I would be uncomfortable "getting into bed" with a
proprietary, closed-source solution - even if the licensing fees are OK
now, they could go up, and you will be stuck. There are a number of
current Oracle customers who complain about this bitterly. So I would
do this only as a last resort.

I recommend you do some research on scaling MySQL - there is a lot out
there and a lot (I mean a *lot*, including Digg, Facebook, and other
very large sites) have done this without ever going to Oracle.

David