users@glassfish.java.net

Re: One Pager review request: V3 Connectors(Connectors, Pooling, JDBC) features

From: Sahoo <Sahoo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:15:20 +0530

Jagadish,

We should explore the possibility of installation of JDBC drivers in
server runtime without requiring restart. With some kind of OSGi trick,
I think this is doable. There are three possible use cases:

1. JDBC driver is already an OSGi bundle:
In this case, you should ask user to copy the driver to modules
directory or install it using a new asadmin command that we are
proposing to install OSGi bundle.
2. JDBC 4 compliant driver:
Such driver has META-INF/services/java.sql.DriverManager file in them.
When such drivers are placed in any of our library directories, we
should detect them and automatically extend our runtime.
3. Old JDBC driver:
This requires introspection of any new jar installed in our lib
directories. We can look for existence of implemention of DriverManager
and extend our runtime.

Thanks,
Sahoo