users@glassfish.java.net

JNDI Lookup of an Entity Manager

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:05:34 PST

I was wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on an issue I am facing in JEE. I basically have a setup that is a Stateless Session Bean. It calls a helper class which in turn calls another helper wich in turn acts upon an Entity. I have written many tests to try to get this to work and the only success I have had to date is passing the entity from the SLSB all the way through the exection path so that it can eventually be used.

When I try to name the persistence context on the SLSB and then do a JNDI lookup in what is essentially a helper class I consistently get name not found. The following is an example of what I am talking about

@PersistenceContext(name="persistence/em")
@Stateless(mappedName = "com/zaplet/SequenceEnitity")
public class SequenceManager implements SequenceManagerRemote {

    private SequenceGeneratorDAO _sequenceGenerator;

    public SequenceManager() {
        _sequenceGenerator = SequenceGeneratorDAO.singleton;
    }

    public NewID getNewId(NewID id) {
        return _sequenceGenerator.getNewId(id);
    }
}

the helper class that I eventually get to is

public class ManagedSequenceGenerator implements SequenceGeneratorService {

    EntityManager em = null;

    public ManagedSequenceGenerator() {

        try {
            Context ic = new InitialContext();
            em = (EntityManager) ic.lookup("java:comp/env/persistence/em");
            System.out.println("What the ???");
        } catch (NamingException e) {
            System.out.println("What the ###");
        }
    }

    public void create(Sequence sequenceEntity) {
        entityManager.persist(sequenceEntity);
    }
}

Can someone please clarify what I am doing wrong, I have even tried a jndi lookup of "persistence/em" , is there a basic principle I do not understand ???

thanks
tony
[Message sent by forum member 'grinch64' (grinch64)]