users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Load balancer

From: Jacob Kessler <Jacob.Kessler_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:11:26 -0800

With the caveat that I have no actual experience with the glassfish load
balancer:

It seems like what Pankaj is saying is that the default load balancers
that glassfish ships with are round-robin and weighted. Those will
likely be sufficient in most cases, especially in applications where the
installation isn't worth writing a custom one.

The user-defined policy could be as complicated as you wanted to to be,
and might well involve having the nodes report when they are under or
over-used to the LB. Such a setup would be very dependent on the
deployed apps and the cluster they were deployed on, so it makes sense
not to supply one by default. My impression is that with the
user-defined load balancer, you could build a system that detects load.
The definition of "load", though, isn't something that Glassfish can
figure out on its own.