users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish v3 logging one pager ready for review

From: Dies Koper <diesk_at_fast.au.fujitsu.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:59:12 +1100

Hi Carla,

I see that you have already received a great number of useful comments.
I have a few that I believe were not mentioned yet.

1. Currently logged messages are preceded by a timestamp. Will you take
care to use the timestamp that the error occurred (i.e. the log method
was called), and not the time that the message is released from the
queue and actually written to the log file?

2. Will there be an option to have logging done synchronously instead
(or flush per message setting, configurable queue size of 0, etc.)?
    I'm thinking of two cases were that would be useful:
    - Lots of messages could be lost when a VM crashes. We'd like to
have some control over how much could be lost (maybe start with a queue
size of 0 and slowly increase it as we feel the need for a performance
gain and feel confident about the server's stability).
    - In test applications we log to the server log and at the end of
the test we check the log for a "PASS" message, and that no unexpected
messages were logged. Asynchronous logging makes automation of such test
  difficult.

3. Finally, we think it is very important to have a limit on the queue
size and when it is filled up, to have the log methods block until there
is space enough again. (Your pager is not clear about what code is
blocked. You are talking about the log methods, not the asynchronously
running logger thread, right?). An unbounded queue would lead to
out-of-heap errors eventually. In fact, it might even be desirable to
log a WARNING message when the queue is filled up, to assist the admin
in tuning the queue size.

Thanks,
Dies