users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Server stops responding due to Glassfish

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:19:54 -0500

It was determined that there is not a problem with GlassFish. Either
the application code or one of its dependencies (such as a JDBC driver)
is locking the grizzly worker thread. Once all five worker threads are
locked up you experience a lockup. When you experience a lockup, run the
following command:

asadmin generate-jvm-report --type=thread > thread_dump.txt

Examine the file for blocked threads and see what they are waiting on.
The file is basically a stack dump for each thread. That is how I found
what was locking my application and fixed it.

A second lockup I recently encountered was also my fault. My app was
executing an SQL query with no WHERE clause on a many gigabyte sized
database table. It took two months to figure out what was happening.
JPA caches every entity it loads by default, and never expires them. I
disabled JPA caching and fixed the query to not allow it to return many
gigabytes of results.

Ryan