users@glassfish.java.net

Clustering Question - Failover working, but session not following (Apache)

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:53:34 PST

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We just setup apache to be a load balancer for our GlassFish V2 installation following this article: http://blogs.sun.com/jluehe/entry/supporting_apache_loadbalancer_with_glassfish

We had it previously setup using a stand-alone HTTP load balancer (Pound) and it worked fine - sessions failed over and replicated properly. We had some issues with SSL configuration on Pound so we decided to mess around with apache. After following the instructions to setup apache with mod_jk in the link above, we are seeing the failover work, but a whole new session is created on the still-living server. I can't figure out what would cause this? We are using the same clusterjsp sample app that worked with the Pound load balancer on the same GlassFish servers, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a configuration change that did it.

We are seeing the same issues as the comments in the above link where the commentor's name is Wilfred. Basically the console reports that AJP_INSTANCE_NAME can't be found even though when we list the properties using asadmin it's there. It doesn't appear to be a problem because inspection of the cookies in the browser shows the correct 'worker' name appended to the session id.
[Message sent by forum member 'bbqmike' (bbqmike)]