users@glassfish.java.net

Heap space problem, VisualVM didn't show process

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:10:58 -0500

Hi,

Twice we've encountered out of heap space errors lately. This time I
remembered to try and use tools like visual vm to diagnose. I opened
Visual VM and it only showed the Java process of Visual VM itself, not
the java process running GlassFish. I tried the remote feature but that
didn't help. I tried using remote desktop's /admin option to get me to
the real console, and that didn't help.

I was able to get a stack and heap dump, but only after logging in using
remote desktop's /admin command.

Any idea how I can use Visual VM to diagnose GlassFish? I've since
increased the heap size to 1 GB (from 512 mb) and am going to try to
analyze the heap dump from NetBeans.

Thanks,
Ryan