users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Remote deployment of Rails app

From: Bill Kocik <bkocik_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:55:47 -0500

On 16 Nov, 2008, at 3:22 AM, Dick Davies wrote:

> WARbler is probably worth a look for this kind of thing.

That actually raises another question. I'm aware of Warbler (and
Goldspike, for that matter), and it's very cool - but I thought one of
the advantages of GlassFish v3 is that you no longer have to package
your app into a war file to deploy it.

The question is: Why is that an advantage? I've never been really sure
where to ask that question (though, in hindsight, I suppose this list
is it). I know how Warbler sets things up to run - with a dispatching
servlet - but what I don't know is how GlassFish does it when an app
is deployed natively. Is there really an advantage, or am I fooling
myself by avoiding packing my app into a war file for no real reason?

I know it's an advantage during development, because you get the same
change-file-and-refresh-browser dev cycle you get with WEBrick or
Mongrel. I don't know if there's an advantage to deploying to
production installs that way, though.

--
Bill Kocik