users@glassfish.java.net

Memory Growing

From: Dru Devore <ddevore_at_duckhouse.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:54:25 -0700

I have had a couple of threads about the memory growing out of control.
I thought it was a problem with either GF or a way I was performing the
queries against the database. I have finally tracked down the biggest
memory eater in the code.

There is a lib I am using from another area in the company that does a
transformation of some XML for me. I finally a resource problem. They
are opening a file to read in a property file and never closing the
file. This is causing GF to eventually run out of heap space and in
essence die. This problem is not happening when I use the lib outside of
GF though.

First I would like to thank everyone who helped with suggestions. You
helped me cut the overall memory usage of the application without the
above mentioned troublesome lib and helped me increase the performance
by a factor of about 2. Thanks for the help.

I wonder though why would this happen in GF and not outside of GF?