users@glassfish.java.net

Re: OutOfMemoryError: heap space (SJSAS PE 8.2 u4)

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:38:28 -0500

I'm currently trying to figure out the same problem but on SJSAS 9.1
UR2. I don't think it's GlassFish's fault since it has been running
fine since May until last month. A few things we noticed pointed to a
leak in a JDBC driver and I found a bug ticket for that driver that
talked about a leak.

I would check to find out when the last time you updated your system,
exactly what changes were done, analyze the source code to see if you
introduced a leak, etc.

Add the following JVM options to domain.xml to help diagnose:

-verbose:gc
-XX:+PrintGCDetails
-Xloggc:gclogfile [Replace gclogfile with your local file path]
-Xcheck:jni

On the next OOME:

- look in server.log to find the exact error referring to"Java heap space."
- capture heap dump and analyze it with tool of choice, such as netbeans
heap analyzer
     % jmap -dump:format=b,file=<filename> <pid_of_java_process>
     and
     % java -version
- look at gc logs from new jvm options

Ryan