users@glassfish.java.net

Re: could someone explain what the JSESSIONIDVERSION cookie is used for?

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:21:37 -0800

Hi Dick,

On 11/ 4/08 12:56 PM, Dick Davies wrote:
> I'm seeing some weirdness with Firefox and my Glassfish cluster; I'm
> continually being
> asked to log in - hence my earlier thread asking how session
> replication should be setup.
>
> Suffice it to say me and Live HTTP Headers are now very good friends.
> I noticed in addition
> to the JSESSIONID cookie, there's an integer set called
> JSESSIONIDVERSION. Can someone
> explain how that's used?
>
> Google isn't coming up with the goods, but does seem to correlate it
> with Glassfish in-memory
> session replication.

GlassFish in-memory replication relies on HTTP session versioning in
order to be able to
detect stale sessions, and in order to be able to resume an HTTP session
with the version
requested by the client (which would be the session's most recent version).

Session versioning information is carried via a cookie named
JSESSIONIDVERSION.

Jan