users@glassfish.java.net

Re: ORB/IIOP listeners -- Connection timeout when server is not on localhos

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 00:58:41 PDT

Hi,

we had the same problem some months ago - the following information might be useful for all readers of this thread, hopefully preventing to waste a lot of time searching for the cause (like we did ...sic!)

In our case the root cause was quite simple:

There has been an entry in /etc/hosts on the remote server, which mapped the name of the server to an local IP. (not sure, but this might be some kind of "default" setting in some releases of red hat linux...)

So what happened: For some reasons the remote ORB, while sending the CORBA-Failover-Information (which seems to be based on an IP an not an name as mentioned somewhere above), instead of doing an DNS-Lookup- it looked up its own name locally. So the next request on the client ORB used the wrong Failover-Address.

All we had to do, was to change the mapping of he Server-Name in /etc/hosts on the remote server to it´s 'external' IP (like in the DNS; reachable from the Client-ORB) and everything worked well!

Kind regards,
rene
[Message sent by forum member 'renhoffmann' (renhoffmann)]