users@glassfish.java.net

Re: how to tune glassfish(grizzly) to improve performance on the slow network

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 11:24:13 -0400

Salut,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> glassfish choose grizzly as its nio engine,but the grizzly is not a full nio,so it perform badly at slow network.

Hum :-) Where are you see such statement? The only time we have seen
some performance "issues" were related to the WAP protocol. For the HTTP
protocol, slow or fast network should not make a big difference.

> what parameter could I tune to improve the performance at this situation.
> 1,could I tune -Dcom.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.maxSelectors to a large number,such as 200,whether it must be less than http service's RequestProcessing's thread count,what's the proper ratio between it and RequestProcessing's thread count

You can set that value equals to the nunber request-processing
thread-count. That means that all Threads/Requests will have a single
Selector .

> 2,I find the "Thread Pool" in glassfish admin console's configuration,It has the attribute "Maximum Size",does it have to be larger than service's RequestProcessing's thread count

Thread-pool is not used by Grizzly. Just use the request-processing
element.

A+

-- Jeanfrancois