users@glassfish.java.net

Slow HTTPS - Java 6 + Glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 04:00:42 PDT

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a problem on a new Glassfish installation I've got running on Solaris 10 SPARC on some T2000s.

HTTPS is really slow. HTTP is really fast.

The problem seems to be something to do with either SJSAS 9.1U2, Java 6 (1.6.0_07) because on the same box, under different Solaris containers, an SJSAS 8.2 instance hums along on JDK 1.5.

I've tuned the TCP stack and the fact that 8.2 runs real fast proves that something wrong with my 9.1 config or Java6.

I've followed Jean-Francois' recommend Grizzly tuning, and I think the JVM is tuned pretty well:

-server
-Dcom.sun.enterprise.server.ss.ASQuickStartup=false
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=16
-Xms2304m
-Xmx2304m
-XX:+UseParallelOldGC
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC
-XX:+AggressiveOpts
-XX:PermSize=768m

..however, HTTPS is still pretty slow compared to HTTP on the same instance.

Its obvious when you hit REFRESH in your browser and watch HTTP requests crawl down the line. On HTTP, the REFRESH shows a steady quick stream of requests and responses.

Any ideas whether this is a JDK 1.6 bug at all or just a bug in grizzy or GF2 ?
[Message sent by forum member 'coreyjohnston' (coreyjohnston)]