users@glassfish.java.net

What's advanteges of JPA? Basic question about this technology.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:42:39 PDT

Hello,

our company is moving to j2ee technologies and to JPA. I am most of all databse applicatino developer and i have simple question:

What's good on JPA?

First of all i found:

Business logic on AS is cool.
What? I think BL is better on database layer, because if i make BL on AS i must go everytime through AS and i think this is impossible in real world.

Second:
Database independent.
OMG, why this we have oracle and we want use this as a cool database, moving to another db is the most worst idea. And i think JPA looks so AS dependent.

better performace - AS can cache data:
i think there will be no better performnce than our db :) if AS is better than database - i think this company can move their business and instead of AS can sell db servers. And cache on AS is no good idea because that can be changed using another application which dont use AS.

complex security rules and roles
OMG this have our databases since their beginning. And why i must write this rules again to AS and manage them again?

And think i dont like:
AS uses one account for database connection. We can use oracle proxy auth but why we need AS than?
And can u tell me how it is with complex queries? really complex not one join :)
And can u tell me why u use JPA - where is advanteges of this technology?

Really thanks for answers, your experiences and opinions.

Jakub.
[Message sent by forum member 'anorganic' (anorganic)]