users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Server stops responding due to Glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 04:56:52 PDT

Dear Jean Francois,
I have reconfigured the my production server according the performance tips from your articles Configuring Grizzly for performance part I and II and here are the results:
Configuration recommended by you:
<jvm-options>-server</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:+AggressiveHeap</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xmx1400m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xms1400m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xss128k</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:MaxPermSize=400m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:+DisableExplicitGC</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Dcom.sun.enterprise.server.ss.ASQuickStartup=false</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:+UseParallelOldGC</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:NewRatio=2</jvm-options>

The server stops running one hour after being started throwing the following exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
I have increased the values for MaxPermSize but the problem still persists.

Configuration we used to have:
<jvm-options>-server</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xmx1200m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xms1200m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xss128k</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:MaxPermSize=400m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:+DisableExplicitGC</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Dcom.sun.enterprise.server.ss.ASQuickStartup=false</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:NewRatio=2</jvm-options>

The difference between both configurations is the aggressive heap and the GC algorithm.
The problem with the second configuration is that the https port stops responding after receiving roughly 5000 requests. The strange thing is that the http port still works fine and there is no error message in Glassfish’s log file.

The hardware and software I’m using is as follows: processor Intel Core 2 Quad 2.50 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition, Glassfish V2.1 b51

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions since I have a production server that is crashing ones a day.

Thank you for your time and help,
David
[Message sent by forum member 'zukerman' (zukerman)]