users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Technical Prezo - OSGi Intro and Overview

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:26:42 +0200

Hi Sahoo;

Sahoo schrieb:
[...]
> What is your expectation? How do you want to use OSGi from Java EE
> applications?
> Why do you want it? Are the existing Java EE functionalities not meeting
> your requirement?
[...]

Don't get me wrong here. :) We so far don't have real requirements and/or
needs to throw in OSGi. The only point by now, however, would be to know
whether it actually can do something more "productive" than adding a bundle
that println()'s "Hello World" when starting the server.

A more practical usage I could imagine, as an example: Some colleagues of
mine in another company use to create code packaged as OSGi bundles, and, in
our environment, it would be nice simply to throw these OSGi bundles into an
application server, add, say, a client .jar containing some interface
definitions to an EJB module and be able to use OSGi implemented services
inside an EJB.

But again, this so far is purely "fictional" to me, so far I am just curious
what is possible, or what (eventually) will be possible in near future.
Right now I am just about to figure out how I/we could eventually benefit
from OSGi in gfv3, maybe already by now. :)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink