users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Technical Prezo - OSGi Intro and Overview

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:53:36 +0200

Hi Sahoo;

Sahoo schrieb:
[...]
> firmly believe we can make it available in near future. Since our first
> priority has been to make Java EE applications run on v3, we have not
> focused on making any extensions at this point of time.

Sure, I can understand this, given that so far I'd also consider working EJB
3.x support likely to be more important than using OSGi in custom
applications in a meaningful way. So far however it's just a matter of
curiosity, especially while talking to other developers I sometimes have to
deal with, I am sometimes in having to "defend" JavaEE / EJB 3.x against the
"SpringSource Application Platform" and its OSGi foundation - knowing gfv3
runs atop OSGi is a good starting point in terms of "buzzword capturing" I
guess, but knowing how to make use of it meaningfully would be even better. :>

> It is definitely
> in our radar as you can see it being mentioned in our one-pager:
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/attach/V3FunctionalSpecs/GFv3Prelude-OSGi-onepager-v0.2.txt

I'll have a quick read across this, thanks for the pointer. :)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink