users@glassfish.java.net

Toplink in Java SE, are there known issues connecting to MS SQL server?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 03:10:12 PDT

I'm a novice user of JPA and found a weird problem when using Toplink in Java SE, trying to connect to a remote MS-SQL-Server (2000/2005).

My client is usual a Windows XP with personal firewall and some group policies enabled, from which our administrators mean they are useful....

I used the Netbeans 6.1 wizard to build a Java Desktop database application. A JDBC connection to the MS-SQL-Server works, I've used connection pools and "normal" JDBC connections thousand times with no problems from this XP-Client.

With JPA and Toplink I don't get a connection to this same server, I get after half an hour a SQLServerException which says there could be no TCP/IP connection established (roughly translated).

Trying this from a non-managed Windows 2000 Client (no group policies, no personal firewall) Client via VPN, everything works fine.

What does Toplink do what a common JDBC-Connection doesn't do?
I've checked the classpaths which seems to be ok, I tried the newest Toplink essentials available, there seems to be no empty spaces in the classpaths...

Has anybody an idea what could be wrong?
[Message sent by forum member 'jiai' (jiai)]