users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish domains on same server under own unix user credetials?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:31:58 PDT

Thanks for prompt response.
> GF domain runs as a single monolithic process on the server
I have expected so. Is that true for multiple domains?
I am OK with single process per domain, but for different domains I like to have separate credentials.

I.e. same server has domains: pika.boo.com and nano.boo.com,
Server has pika and nano users and groups with /home/pika and /home/nano hoe folders.
Developers of each group could go wild, messing each other within same domain.
But they do not have even read permission on another domain.
And processes could take as much CPU as given for user. Same for file system: size quota per-user applied by Unix.

> Really depends on how sophisticated your development is and what the users are doing
Nothing unusual: unlimited log, imaging(CPU) with cached in memory any FS(size)
But it is happen at once. Potentially, they could write in wrong place and block other services like email. Not to mention regular security issues: read other user's content.
> You can't have a common GUI.
Strange. If you allow same UI for clusters(different servers), how much it is different from different domain instances on same server? Same JMF interfaces, is it?

> you could easily script the CLI with some common shortcuts
Or change GF to support this feature :) I guess it will have same complexity.

At the moment there is a solution:
Apache server to redirect(ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse) port 80 requests to appropriate GF instances. Each GF is independent installation.
What is missing there, that nice admin UI for domain redirect and per-domain administration. A little thing which makes my admin life much easier. I prefer to write apps rather httpd.conf or admin scripts :))

PS. On my Solaris 8 there is no SMF...

Sasha Firsov

Sr. Systems Analyst

510.985.8158 - direct
925.407.7596 - mobile
[Message sent by forum member 'sashafirsov' (sashafirsov)]