users@glassfish.java.net

encodings / german "Umlauts" local and in server context?

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:36:47 +0200

Folks;

maybe I am overlooking something essential here: One of our apps is about to
rip content off e-mails living in an IMAP spool, dealing with both HTML and
plain-text and, in the latter case, having to deal with encodings in a
correct way (especially related to German "umlauts"). Phenomenon: My code
behaves perfectly well while being started from a command line running on my
client (development machine), however running inside our glassfish server,
"something" seems to be different here as, here, I constantly get character
encodings messed up. Some things I already checked:

- OS environment is configured in the same way (Linux on both server and my
dev machine, LOCALE / LANG settings the same on both).

- JDK in use is the same on both machines.

- As far as I could tell, System.getProperties() returns the same values /
settings on both machines.

I wonder whether, in glassfish, there is something messing with these
encoding settings? Could this be because we're running the v2 b04-ml build
to have a German user interface? Any other ideas? Or should I just dump and
try to fix my code?

TIA for any inspirations, have a good weekend...
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink
cell    :  +49 176 2447 2771