users@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish server and linux 32 bit vs 64 bit

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:07:23 +0200

Chris;

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org schrieb:
[...]
> started adopting solaris but other UNIX plattforms i am curious if you
> could answer me if you know the[b] RAM boundaries (max ram / server)[/b]
> for linux installlations.

For a few interesting figures on that, have a quick look at [1]. Overally, I
guess using a 64bit Linux distribution you're pretty much next to what you
will need in your very use case. :)

> another question is and i am really no expert on LINUX and OS things ....
> if i do have a linux base system of 64 bit (to rise the max RAM limit /
> server) am i able to instantiate a 32 bit JVM with GF then?

Yes, it should work; looking at my last 64bit experiments on my notebook
(which is pretty much half a year ago), using a 32bit VM + browser on a
64bit Linux distribution was the recommended way to get Java Applet support
as (at least these days, don't know whether this has changed in the
meantime) the 64bit JRE didn't come with a working browser plugin. A quick
google on that made me stumble across [2] which overally seems to be pretty
straightforward in terms of installing/starting at least the 32bit JDK so
I'd just give it a shot.

If you however might need any hints or help running Glassfish atop of Linux,
feel free to ask - been doing this (Ubuntu 6.06, 8.04) for quite a while now
in a productive environment, maybe there are some things I can be of help
with. :)

Cheers,
Kristian

[1]http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/maximum-memory-and-cpu-limitations-for-linux-server.html