users@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish server and linux 32 bit vs 64 bit

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:18:46 +0200

On Aug 1, 2008, at 8:04, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> hi alexis,
>
> thanks for the answers..
> since i am in a company that has not really started adopting solaris
> but other UNIX plattforms i am curious if you could answer me if you
> know the[b] RAM boundaries (max ram / server)[/b] for linux
> installlations.

Usually the more recent the linux kernel and the the JVM, the higher
you can go.
On theory 2^32=4GB is the max but that's only theory.
In practice it's often still 2^31=2GB as one bit is used for something
else.
In both cases (31 or 32), you need to leave room for non-java memory
and can reach somewhere close to 1900MB or 3900MB.
Of course with 64-bit JVMs, no such issue, I don't think we build
machine that have 2^64 memory.

> another question is and i am really no expert on LINUX and OS
> things ....
> if i do have a linux base system of 64 bit (to rise the max RAM
> limit / server) am i able to instantiate a 32 bit JVM with GF then?

sure thing.
if you go the 64-bit route, you need everything to be 64-bit including
any 3rd party library (thing type II JDBC driver for instance).

-Alexis