users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish on port 80 on alternate IP - pointers?

From: Gabe Wong <gabrielw_at_ngasi.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:00:40 -0700

Hi,
 From my experience the main difference is that AJP makes it appear as
if Apache is a listener directly attached to the Application Server,
while mod_proxy (which uses the HTTP protocol), mimics Apache as a
client. So depending on the sensitivity of your application,
that may or may not be an issue.
For instance, if your application directly relies on the servername and
port number in the request headers you would have to perform some work
arounds.
Also you cannot directly use the remodaddr value in the request as the
IP address will be that of Apache.
for remodaddr you would need to use the x-forwarded-for header value.
and for the web port you would need to configure the ajp connector with
the proxyport option.

There may be a few other things as well. I am not sure there is a
performance difference though.