users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request feedback on Glassfish V3 Prelude Pluggability/Branding one-pager

From: Sreenivas Munnangi <Sreenivas.Munnangi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:00:22 -0700

Thanks to Bill Shannon, Jerome Dochez, Nazrul, Pluggability team and all
of you who provided valuable feedback on one-pager.

Here are the comments based on arch. review meeting on 18th.

01
Update the project description based on Ed's comment that who the
pluggability is targetted at.

02
Jerome mentioned issues with Extender pattern. We need to come up with
an appropriate solution for installing/managing modules post-prelude.

02
Examine dynamic restrat of admin console pluggability possibly using
plugin listener or thru hk2 habitat

03
Module with all pluggability (GUI, CLI, etc.) can be released as one
bundle, or the pluggability can be released as a separate bundle from core.

04
Expose the configuration automatically thru GUI (from habitat) for final
release.

06
GUI - already war why do we need indirection specifically in the context
of hosting it separate from domain admin server.

07
Following items are out of scope for prelude
- runtime mbeans
- pluggability for amx
- pluggability for config
- pluggability for online-help
- jruby container monitoring

08
CLI commands name scope resolution - first one wins, log message in the
resolution for subsequent commands

09
To make the names unique for config-console.xml examine the alternatives
reverse domain name, importing a name space, or some other scheme to
make it unique.

10
For GUI based branding (glassfish and sun glassfish) the integration is
similar to console pluggability using an integration point.

GUI branding will use version provided thru branding interface
implementation.

11
Cleanup export/import sections.

12
Pluggabilty api needs to be exposed thru glassfish-api.

Above suggestions are already incorportaed in one-pager.

thanks
sreeni