users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Does Glassfish 3 supports Java EE 6?

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:13:05 -0700

Valid concern and thanks for the feedback.

GlassFish has not needed to take the approach others have taken with
J2EE 1.4+EE 5 features because GlassFish has been first to market with
new Java EE releases. GlassFish has been EE 5 certified since JavaOne
2006, for example. We put development and quality assurance efforts on
backwards compatibility (Java EE 5 backwards compatibility with J2EE
1.4).

Based on community and customer conversations, we would like to enable
developers to prepare for Java EE 6. Java EE 5 is over 2 years old,
after all. Developers can start today with Jersey (REST) and EJB 3.1
Lite with GlassFish v3 TP2 (and soon with the October v3 release). Our
goal with the October release is to prepare the developer for what is
to come, not to rush to new features. If we enable Java EE 6 features
in a way that adds complexity, please continue to keep us honest and
let us know. Your the customer!

GlassFish v3, when released by JavaOne 2009, will be Java EE 6
certified assuming Java EE 6 has been approved before then.

Of course, the dates and time frames above are always subject to
change, but these are the current plan of record. Our intent is to be
completely transparent. If dates change, we notify the community and
update the wiki page so you can plan accordingly:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3Schedule

John Clingan
GlassFish Product Line Manager