users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Number of requests per second taken care by glassfish

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:11:42 -0400

Salut,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Do you have any proxy in between? Or does the network get flooded? This doesn't look like a bug in GlassFish, but really means that all the required bytes are send really slowly from
>
> Really great that you can interpret this data:)
>
> Before i try the new property, want to say 90% of the request are done by mobile phone (WAP).
> Other application on this server, which are only connected per PC, do not show so much slow requests.

Bingo :-) This is a network related problem, and unfortunately there is
little we can do.

> Could it be, that its just a normal case for mobile phone requests.

Yes, based on the which networks they run on, it can explain why the
getParameter is taking time. What I suspect is the WAP protocol (and the
client) send the minimal bytes over the wire (which isn't including the
parameters). Grizzly parse the request and then as soon as the
application invoke getParameters(), the client then and only then send
the remaining bytes. I'm guessing here...but depending on the network,
it might takes a couple of seconds to get the remaining data. The client
is probably sending the minimal requests bytes to save bandwidth on the
first request.

> Requests come from all over the world, perhaps there is an gateway between which just slows it down, in some countries?

Yes that's probably the reason.

> Also if the above statement could be reason for it.
> Should i try your property then?

No, as it will breaks some remote client as Grizzly will close the
connection, thinking the client is doing a denial of service (sending
incomplete messages). The default time out (30 seconds) is just fine for
WAP I'm pretty sure.

> thanx for help,

You are welcome.

-- Jeanfrancois