users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish and Java Web Start

From: Witold Szczerba <pljosh.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:29:09 +0200

Tim suggestions are really the way to go!
At work, we use JNLPDownloadServlet very successfully. We deploy
application which is about 30MB large. The version-download protocol
really ROCKS, as we can redeploy upgraded version of our application,
and clients download only few dozens of KB each time after initial
download. The key is to add new jar files (also new version of
libraries) without removing old versions, the JNLPDownloadServlet
takes care of checking what each individual client already has and
generating diffs under the hood. We felt huge relief when we switched
to using version-download protocol. The redeployment takes more time
as we have to add new files, rename them, so the name looks like this:
something__V20080612.jar indicating the version is "20080612", then we
update launch.jnlp file so it knows what the new version is, then we
repeat this step for every new version of each .jar file... But now,
when 150 clients have to launch new version, instead of downloading
150*30MB it takes, as I said only 150*few KBs - really painless :)

Regards,
Witold Szczerba