users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Server stops responding due to Glassfish

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:10:10 -0700

Salut,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> After switching form Grizzly to Coyote it looks like my original problem of the server no longer responding to HTTP has not recurred after several days of operation. Now, there was some speculation as to whether or not my issue was also related to the fact that the maximum number of open files (set via ulimit -n) was set at only 1024. I tried to increase it to 8192, but discovered that the setting does not persist. If I close the Putty session into the server and re-open it I have discovered that the setting reverts back to 1024. These settings are viewable by running "ulimit -a". So, two things seem clear to me. 1) I don't understand how ulimit is supposed to work. Perhaps someone can tell me.

  2) I don't see how this "max open files" setting can have anything to
do with my problem because it reverts back to it's original setting.

Are you using the default configuration (domain.xml)? Without any
change, you are running fine with Coyote, right? That's impressive as
you are only running with 5 threads.

> It does appear however, that Grizzly vs. Coyote has made a difference. So, I ask, what is the downside, if any, of using Coyote? Is it slower?

Yes, it is (Coyote isn't scaling very well).

  Why is the default behavior of Glassfish to use Grizzly in the first
place?

I'm not aware of any issues with Grizzly. I would be very interested to
see if you can run GF with the log level set to finest to see if I can
find something? Any application you can share to reproduce the issue?

Thanks

-- Jeanfrancois