users@glassfish.java.net

WADL advice needed

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:58:48 PDT

Hi, firstly, apologies if this is not the right place to post but it seemed the best fit.

I'm after some advice. Basically I've got some existing simple web services (not soap / wsdl) that use simple URLs and return XML documents (used in an existing AJAX app).

What I'd like to do is expose these using WADL - then hopefully if possible write a traditional thick client (as an extension to the ajax web app version) using these services. Ideally I'd like IDE or framework support to automate some of the boilerplate coding based on the WADL, so I can concentrate on GUI design etc.

So, I'm wondering - my services are not strictly REST, although they are loosely REST-like, how strict is WADL in this sense?

Can my services be turned into simple RPC that can be automated into a client side API?

Now, here's the thing (and this may not be the right place to ask) but as well as a probably Java SE based thick client I might need a .NET equivalent, is there WADL tool support in .NET?

In an ideal world I'd like to point a tool at the existing services generate the WADL then automatically generate the client API for Java and as mentioned .Net too

I realise this might not be possible but any comments, suggestions or references would be greatly received, thanks in advance!
[Message sent by forum member 'chillipower' (chillipower)]